[ExI] Phil Jones acknowledging that climate science isn'tsettled

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Mar 2 07:24:55 UTC 2010

>...On Behalf Of Christopher Luebcke
	Subject: Re: [ExI] Phil Jones acknowledging that climate science
isn'tsettled

	>...The problem has never been that people cannot adapt. It's that
ecosystems can adapt in ways that are extremely unfriendly to people. No
matter how well-deserved your estimation of your own genes is, your kids are
not going to grow gills or derive nutrition from sand. Catastrophic global
warming won't kill by heat stroke. It'll kill by war, disease and famine...

So I hear.  Consider the kinds of oversimplification that leads to
misunderstanding.  One I pointed out, where the proletariat somehow turns a
degree per century into a degree per year.  Then there is the annoying habit
of lumping all varieties of skeptics into one large bin of enviro-heretics,
even though there are many subtle varieties.  I for instance recognize that
the surface temperature may rise a bit on average, but I seriously doubt
that warming by itself will cause war, disease, famine etc.  We have
*plenty* of factors that can cause all that stuff without a couple degrees
of warming.  For instance, we have war, disease and famine as a result of
human disagreement on the name of their imaginary deities.  Humans just have
a bad habit of killing each other.

Considering modern war technology, agricultural technology, pest control,
water handling, construction skills, I honestly think we would scarcely
notice a degree or two of warming over a human lifetime.  We can handle it,
farm animals can handle it, crops can be genetically engineered for a bit
warmer and longer growing season.  Some beasts will go extinct as beasts do,
but some would anyway even without the warming.  Chris we have bigger
problems to worry about, such as maintaining the supply of cheap energy.