[ExI] The entropy of Extropy-Chat

Kat Walsh kat at mindspillage.org
Thu Mar 4 01:22:45 UTC 2010

2010/3/2 Jeffery P. Davis <heavensblade23 at gmail.com>:

>> Uhoh, I am sooo not hip.  Do explain the affluence gap between Facebook
>> and
>> Myspace.  I refuse to participate in either, but didn't realize one was
>> for
>> rich and other for poor.  Is that what you meant?
>

> One can't be expected to know *everything* about internet culture, of
> course.  It's
> a general ignorance I was lamenting, considering how internet culture is
> starting to drive
> popular culture.
>
> Facebook is frequented by a more affluent audience that fled from Myspace
> when the former
> became open-registration.  Myspace is now primarily frequented by black
> urban youth and
> poor whites.  You might even argue the Myspace exodus was a form of white
> flight as the medium
> became more popular with black youth.  Vast simplification, but that's
> basically how the cards fall.
> You see a lot of upper middle-class folks on Facebook of the kind you almost
> never found on myspace.

Probably the best site to read on this, if you're interested, is danah boyd's:

http://www.danah.org/papers/essays/ClassDivisions.html

(If you're impatient with very qualitative research you may not find
it satisfying, but you probably won't find a better place to start.)

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: kat at wikimedia.org * Personal: kat at mindspillage.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage * (G)AIM:mindspillage
IRC(freenode,OFTC):mindspillage * identi.ca:mindspillage * phone:ask