[ExI] intellectual property again

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Mar 4 05:08:44 UTC 2010

On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:47 PM, Emlyn wrote:

> I honestly don't see how any extropian or transhumanist who is looking
> at the future with an honest eye can countenance a future like this.
> The copyfight happening now is not a mundane economic squabble, it is
> a political fight for our futures, and one whose importance I think is
> very difficult to overstate. Don't accept it!

So I should abandon any hope or expectation of being recompensed for my
published writing, because otherwise I'm conniving with the Enemies of
the Future. Didn't Stalin have similar opinions along these lines?

In fact, I've just about given up any hope of making a living from my
work; all my stuff is instantly pirated (not that this deprives me of
much, I suppose), the conglomerate hogs only want to publish shit "by"
or about celebrities or mashups with ZOMBIES or VAMPIRES at the end of
the title, etc etc. Damned if I know what the answer is; I'd personally
be happy if everyone in the world agreed to pay a tiny amount whenever
they downloaded or borrowed something I created (and I would do the same
in turn, of course), but that doesn't seem likely. Australia's Public
Lending Right and Educational Lending Right is a device for paying the
creators on a sort of rude statistical basis, and could be generalized,
but of course in that case Evil Gummints are involved. And while it's
very wicked for governments to steal from honest workers, it's
apparently virtuous for everyone to steal from me, for example. Because
we have to prepare for Pie in the Sky By and By.

Damien Broderick