[ExI] common sense

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 10:48:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Wed, 3/3/10, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
>  If input equals "Given that your performance seems equal to that of a
> human, do you have a mind?" then output "Yes indeed, I have a mind just like
> Stefano has a mind."

Well then Gordon, I will give credence to your views if you can prove to me
that you are not such a program.

Nobody is calling you crazy for thinking *this* program will not produce a
mind, except, I guess, your Straw Man.  What you are saying is not being
argued, and is in fact obvious.

The fact that you can program a fake mind does not in anyway preclude the
fact that a real one could be programmed.  I do see how you think the brain
may have special components which may prevent today's computers from
emulating it.  This is probably true.  I do not see how you believe that the
brain will *always* have some inextricable property allowing it
consciousness.  The very nature of our universe tells us we can mimic
anything in that manner.  Maybe a mechanism in the brain prevents any
large-scale objects from forming a mind because it only takes place at
microscopic levels.  In this case, we can make our brain out of tiny beer
cans.  It's a bit hasty of people to say that ANY medium could mimic
neurons, because we do not fully comprehend the phenomena involved.
 However, SOME medium absolutely could.