[ExI] intellectual property again

JOSHUA JOB nanite1018 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 19:47:42 UTC 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Jeffery P. Davis wrote:
> That's kind of like saying 'If you don't like the rat race there's always subsistence farming.'  Technically a choice, but avoids the heart of the matter.
In your example, it is true that if you don't like what is needed to live a certain lifestyle, then you either need to get over it or choose a different one. That is simple logic. In regards to IP, and contracts generally (on which I think this line of discussion is based), if someone agrees to a contract (oh, idk, say a mortgage), and then later they decide they don't like it (because, say, the interest rate goes up), they still have to abide by the contract and accept responsibility for entering into it.

Similarly, given the background of IP as a sort of contract (the company informs you at the beginning of the types of restrictions they'll place on their product), you have to abide by it, regardless of whether or not you change your mind later. Agreement with that contract was implicit in the act of purchase. Now, you can try to negotiate your differences, to revise the contract, etc. but that all is voluntary stuff that comes later, and the other party is under no obligation to agree. The alternative is to simply refuse to agree to the proposed contract. It's up to you.

That you enter into a contract with terms and conditions upon the purchase of an item plays a fundamental role in IP. Its why they have the messages at the beginning of movies, on CD cases, in user agreements for all sorts of things, etc. "You were duly informed."

Joshua Job
nanite1018 at gmail.com