[ExI] Question from a neophyte

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Mar 5 00:46:31 UTC 2010

I'm not sure why you would chose Moravec as an entry point. It would
not be my choice at all.  Transhumanism is not about robots and bush
people.  Transhumanism is a philosophical worldview.  If you lens is
robotics, again, I would not single out Moravec, but engage a
collection of sciences and technologies through which the
transhumanist goal or future could be or has the potential of being
established.

And I agree with you about the Western narrative, by I do not agree
that it is a bad thing.  Body transcendence is not the aim of
transhumanism - whether a body is used or not is NOT the point!
Uploading is not the GOAL of transhumanism!

This is why transhumanism gets a bad rap.  I oppose Moravec's
particular vision, no matter how imaginative it is.  We will not forgo
the biological body for no body, but transform the biological body for
semi and non-biological bodies in real time and in synthetic
environments.

To assume Moravec's vision of uploads (by the way a more contemporary
phrase for transferring the brain's content to an artificial system is
"whole brain emulation"), is the entry point and the ground rule of
transhumanism is simply not correct.

Natasha