[ExI] Copying and merging awareness.

Eric Messick eric at m056832107.syzygy.com
Fri Mar 5 07:19:15 UTC 2010

Here are some thoughts on some possibilities provided by uploading
technology.  I hope they can spawn some interesting discussion.

Brief summary:

Given uploading, we can split brain power to perform two or more tasks
at once, and later rejoin the resulting entities.

Medium summary:

It's easy to imagine splitting into two parts by copying, and those
copies can be given control of different real or virtual bodies to
perform two tasks simultaneously.  Those two individuals will diverge
over time.  It would be nice to be able to merge those changes
together to rejoin the two individuals into a single entity.

Can it be done?

I propose that merging the data for synaptic connection strength would
merge the long term memories.  Merging the electro-chemical activity
which represents awareness should be possible as well, though the
method may be dependent on the details of how awareness is generated.

What would it be like after the merge?

Longer discussion:

Cognitive function in humans can be divided into various categories
based on the timescale of action of the function.

At the short end of the time scale, we have awareness and action,
which operate continuously during waking states.  Senses relay
information which we are aware of as it arrives.  Intention is
translated into action which occurs immediately.  Much of our behavior
fits within this category.

For tasks which require brief storage we have short term memory.
Capacity is limited, and it fades quickly unless it is repeated or
felt to be important.  Example: what phone number am I dialing?  We
are continuously aware of what is in our short term memory.

Certain items fall out of our awareness, yet are retained for a longer
period, generally minutes to hours.  Unless reinforced these too fade
within a day or so.  I will refer to this as medium term memory.
Example: where did I park the car?

When items are reinforced by repetition or emotional impact they enter
our long term memory.  These can be recalled many years later, and
form the basis for the continuity of our identity.

Neurons also have functional features which can be categorized by
timescale.  I propose that these neural functions implement the
cognitive functions described above.

Again, at the short end of the time scale we have the electro-chemical
firing patterns of neurons.  These are ephemeral, except as they
affect the longer time scale functions below.  We know that sense
information and action commands are relayed via electro-chemical
action potentials traveling along axons.  It makes sense that
awareness and intent, which must link to the body through action
potentials, would be implemented using the same action potentials.

Where feedback loops exist, sustained repeated firing patterns may
occur.  Within the proper structures, these may be the implementation
of short term memory.  Since we are aware of the contents of our short
term memory, it makes sense that it would also be implemented via
action potentials, just as we have postulated that awareness is
implemented.

Where firing patterns persist, chemical changes occur to synapses
altering the strength of the connection between neurons.  This is
called potentiation.  These changes involve the binding of
small molecules to receptors associated with the synapses, and the
changes revert as the molecules diffuse away from their binding sites.
Unless other machinery is activated, no lasting change will remain.
These types of changes match the features of the medium term memory
described above.  While there may be no active electro-chemical signal
which we would be aware of, if we stimulate part of the circuit it
will re-establish the original firing pattern, allowing us to recall
the memory.

Where reinforcement is strong, more permanent changes occur.  More
receptors are added to synapses, and additional synapses between the
same neurons may be created.  These structural changes are permanent,
and known to be necessary for the formation of long term memories.

So, what can we do with this information?

It suggests a plausible scenario for splitting and rejoining
awareness.

To split, take a snapshot of both the synaptic and electro-chemical
states.  Copy this information to a new processor, or start a new
thread on the same processing system.  Electro-chemical states of the
two threads are isolated to prevent signals from one instance from
intruding on and confusing the other instance.

Each thread creates delta records describing the changes to the
snapshot state.  Those records can later be applied in parallel to the
snapshot to create the merged data-set.

Synaptic strength updates could either be isolated, to be merged
later, or both instances could update and use the same database.  One
instance could remember what the other instance had done.  Just this
sharing of data could be enough to keep the instances well
synchronized.  You can draw the isolation line either at long term
memories, or medium term memories.

A stronger form of synchronization would merge the electro-chemical
data representing awareness.  It would probably be best to paralyze
the bodies controlled by merging instances to prevent spurious action.

Imagine what it would be like to suddenly become aware of what your
other self is thinking.  At the same time, you become aware of your
other self becoming aware of what you were thinking.  You transition
from remembering one stream of action to remembering two.

Fancier possibilities include the ability to edit one data-set to
remove undesired pieces.  If you spawn a copy to preform some
uninteresting task, you can merge back only the briefest impression
of doing it, along with any long term learning allowing you to perform
it better next time.  Care would need to be taken to keep the copy
from resenting the not to be remembered drudgery.  You don't want to
dwell on the thought that you're once again going to be the work copy
rather than the pleasure copy.

Well, that's enough for now.

-eric