[ExI] Social implications of widespread extropian/positivist ideals

Jeffery P. Davis heavensblade23 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 20:45:23 UTC 2010

> Problem 2 (Post-Thinkularity):  Are there unforeseen complications with the
> entire world doing away with free will and all that stuff associated with
> positivism?  Might we see an increase in crimes because people see that they
> are no longer bound by choice (heh, bound by choice)?  And will the
> relatively "cold" mindset associated with science in comparison to religion
> cause more people to lose their proverbial marbles?

I see a bit of a contradiction here.  If people don't make choices, then how
can they can choose to become murderers after we do away with the fiction of
free-will?

Free will may be a fiction, but it's a useful fiction.

--
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature. There may be
other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be