[ExI] Energy hints

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Mar 6 04:57:47 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Dave Sill
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Energy hints
>
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:27 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> > Production cars from 40 years ago are generally faster than modern
> > cars, if measured by quarter mile times at the dragstrip.
>
> 1970 Corvette
> 3425 lbs
> 300-460 HP
> 390 HP quarter mile: 15.0 s
>
> 2010 Corvette
> 3217 lbs
> 430-650 HP
> 430 HP quarter mile: 12.2 s
-Dave...

Ja, to get into the low twelves requires the supercharged ZR1.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1033487_gm-bumps-price-of-2010-corvette-z
r1-up-2910-to-107830

Over a hundred thousand bucks!  I don't even take that kind of unobtanium
into consideration, and Dave if you are anywhere near the price range of
that kind of stuff, then clearly I have treated you with insufficient
respect.  {8^D

Regarding my earlier comment:

>...Dave, you know that it is a really easy modification to make your toilet
a single flush, ja?...

For those of us who live in earthquake country, making this mod is a good
safety precaution as well.  In a really big earthquake it is possible, even
likely that the water mains will be shut down for a while, until they can
check for and fix breaks, then verify there is no bacteria in the water.
Could take a week or more.

The water stored in your toilet tank (not the bowl) is perfectly safe to
drink or use in cooking after a quake.  A lot of people store earthquake
food but waaay insufficient stores of water.  Stuff that keeps a long time
usually needs water with it.  Think about it: oatmeal, pasta, condensed
soup, most canned goods, pretty much anything that keeps indefinitely.

If you live in Taxifornia, the big one is coming, it isn't if but when.  If
the tank on your toilet is orange and nasty skanky looking, it's probably
iron stains, won't hurt you.  Clean it!  If it grosses you out to think of
drinking that, don't worry, it won't anymore after you go a few hours
without water.