[ExI] verrry small galaxies?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Mar 7 18:21:44 UTC 2010

There's a good article at Science News about a subject that has puzzled me for decades, how it is that matter around a black hole sheds enough angular momentum to eventually fall in:

  <http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/how-black-holes-overcome-cetrifugal-force-to-suck-in-gas/#ixzz0hW3nZ8A9> http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/how-black-holes-overcome-cetrifugal-force-to-suck-in-gas/#ixzz0hW3nZ8A9

The article contains what I think is an error:

"...At much larger distances – about 30 to 300 light-years from the center – disturbances from collisions with other galaxies and the gravitational interactions of matter within the galaxy can drive gas toward the central black hole..."

I think they meant accretion disks of nearby stars, rather than collisions with other galaxies.  I can't see immediately how collisions with other galaxies would be a big player in this phenom.  Where's Amara these days?  She would know the answer.