[ExI] Continuity of experience.

Spencer Campbell lacertilian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 20:35:54 UTC 2010

John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> I was looking for intelligent behavior, and no I don't have a definition of
> intelligence but I have something much better, examples.

So: you are proud to point to examples of a thing which you can't
define. I don't see the logic. If I realized that I was recognizing a
phenomenon that I don't know how to describe, I, personally, would
feel pretty strongly compelled to work on articulating it.

In short, I would want to know what it is I think I'm seeing. Gut
instinct is only the beginning of a whole process of understanding.

John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> That is unclear, if the statement is "I also believe mind scanning fails"
> then you are correct.

But that isn't the statement. I'm disagreeing with an implication, here.

I believe "A" and I believe "not B". Therefore, I believe "if A then
B" is a false statement.

John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> I don't understand, an old experienced brain would have lots to say to a
> brand new blank brain, but what would the blank brain have to say to the old
> brain that is relevant in this matter? In fact what would a blank brain have
> to say period?

Maybe I should have said "interaction" instead of "communication".

Brains don't "say" anything. They just respond. When I think of a
blank brain, I think of a big wad of totally inactive neurons. As soon
as you set one of them off, the whole thing activates; it's no longer
blank. It responds immediately.

Jeffery P. Davis <heavensblade23 at gmail.com>:
> John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
>> That's why mind is not involved in blinking, only the brain.
>
>  Couldn't you make a comparison to the subroutines of a program?

I could!

I don't have to, since I can blink at will, but I could defend against
"try to make your heart stop beating" that way. Very easily.

I won't, though, because I resigned from this thread. Yup. Totally
done with it. I'm not even here. These very words are an illusion,
confabulated by your primitive ape-mind in a desperate ploy to justify
its own existence.