[ExI] Bodies

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 19:09:13 UTC 2010

The recent discussion doesn't seem cutting edge.

I suspect that virtually all humans will abandon physical reality entirely.

You can see this starting with Second Life and WoW.

I expect to see laws passed within a few years attempting to limit the
amount of time people can spend in virtual reality.  The laws will
fail, traffic will dwindle as people both work from home and spend
much of their off time playing games there.  There are already a lot
of people who average over 12 hours a day in virtual spaces.

Eventually nanotechnology based medicine will permit reversible
uploading.  People will go in and out for a while and then slam the
door on physical reality, leaving machines to maintain the physical
infrastructure.

At most there will be a small remnant physical state population.

Keith