[ExI] Social implications of widespread extropian/positivist ideals

Kevin Freels reasonerkevin at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 20:21:11 UTC 2010

________________________________
From: JOSHUA JOB <nanite1018 at gmail.com>
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Fri, March 5, 2010 3:21:33 PM
Subject: Re: [ExI] Social implications of widespread extropian/positivist ideals

On Mar 5, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Will Steinberg wrote:
> Problem 1 (The Thinkularity): How do we get from today, where religion is widespread and science is often seen as "the badguy" to a world where people embrace mindnets and space travel and good energy solutions?

Joshua wrote:
On this question, I think the only real answer is to try to convince people they're wrong, keep trying to publicize extropian and transhumanist ideas, etc. As technology advances, I think that bioluddite vs. transhumanism will come to play as important in a role in politics as views on economics do today. The way I see it is either we, i.e. transhumanists, win the battle for ideas, or humanity dies. The exact strategy, for now, is amorphous, but as these issues come more and more into the forefront of people's minds, it will get more and more obvious. I'm thinking the forming of think tanks, political parties/organizations, lobbying groups, etc. will play a major role. As well as books, tv, and other media.

Kevin Freels responds:
One thing that will really get us is the tendency of better educated people to have fewer children. Although I don't foresee anything like "Idiocracy" happening (hilarious movie BTW), I do think that the transhuman movement should embrace a goal of higher reproduction rates. (this also happens to annoy those who have this crazy notion that the world is overpopulated despite a complete lack of evidence.)