[ExI] Bodies

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 09:53:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Adrian Tymes  wrote:
> 22% of Internet using Americans, if you read the fine
> print.  (The distribution looks a little suspect,
> though...)

Gamasutra has just published their 2009 stats.

<http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27581/Study_US_Gamers_Spent_38_Billion_On_MMOs_in_2009.php>

March 9, 2010
Study: U.S. Gamers Spent $3.8 Billion On MMOs in 2009

U.S. gamers spent $3.8 billion on massively multiplayer online games
in 2009, almost 15 times more than other substantial MMO markets in
Europe, according to a new study.

Consumer data from Today's Gamers MMO Focus Report by
Gamesindustry.com and TNS indicates that the number of MMO players in
the U.S. has reached 46 million, 46 percent (21 million) of which paid
to play online games; the rest, around 25 million gamers, play MMOs
without spending any money. The average paying MMO player spent around
$15.10 per month on their games.

The report points out that Blizzard's World of Warcraft has the most
number of players in the U.S. out of all the MMOs it tracked, just in
front of NeoPets and Club Penguin. Other MMOs in the top five include
Disney ToonTown and RuneScape.

I make 46 million to be around 15% of the US population, about half of
whom play free games only.

I think I'd link the popularity of MMOs with the depression and unemployment.

BillK