[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 78, Issue 31

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 15:53:16 UTC 2010

> From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
> To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> Subject: [ExI] fun and games
>
> http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24917/
>
> . . . .
>
> What the new data has allowed Bobylev to do is calculate
> the
> probability of Gliese 710 smashing into the Solar System.
> What he's
> found is a shock.

Gliese 710 is 1.4 million years away from getting anywhere near us.  Why is this the least bit interesting to anyone except astronomers?

In 1.4my, we'll either be long dead or more than capable of coping with such a thing.  It might even count as entertainment!  Or it might be as significant as getting your elbow jostled in a crowd.

Ben Zaiboc