[ExI] Bodies

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Wed Mar 17 11:51:51 UTC 2010

Alec writes:
> As a scientist, much of my happiness and purpose in life comes from
> studying nature. I think it will be hard to find this fulfillment in
> an invented world.

Heh.  As a *non*-scientist, much of my happiness and purpose in life has been
interacting with the natural world: watching pregnancies; watching the children grow
and change; growing plants; feeding and caring for cats, dogs, snakes; appreciating
the changes in my own body; seeking and identifying things (plants, insects, birds)
in my environment.

I'm not ready to move to a world of silicon, but I am happy to accept various
enhancements to this physical body. The fact that many of them extend my (useful,
happy, productive) life is just *great*!

The "brain in a vat" scene reminds me entirely too much of my grandfather in a coma.
I am *so* not ready to go there!

Regards,
MB