[ExI] Bodies and sims

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 16:22:23 UTC 2010

On 3/17/2010 9:45 AM, Keith Henson wrote:

> Say the real universe is filled with technophiles and the lot of us
> are being run as a simulation to see how intelligences would develop
> when they think they are alone.  (Another answer to the Fermi
> question.)
>
> If you prey to the operating system and it answers you back, you know
> you are in a simulation (or deranged).

More than a decade ago, Jacques Vallee wrote this from a world-as-sim
perspective:

<If you think of [reality] as the software for the universe, all it
would take is for someone to change a comma in the program and the chair
you are sitting in wouldn’t be a chair at all. The major benefit from
this model is that it handles anomalies very well. Coincidences would be
a normal expectation. If you address a database with a request for
anything with the word "pool" you will get ads for sunscreen, lotions,
billiard balls and an investment prospectus or two. In parapsychology
gifted subjects may be forcing similar coincidences between separate
locations or separate minds.

One way of testing the theory, by the way, is to create massive
informational anomalies and see what happens when they collapse. You
could enhance remote viewing experiments, for instance, by loading the
site with large quantities of data about highly unlikely events or
situations, then quickly erase that data to collapse the singularity.>

<http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_vallee08.htm>

This sounds very intriguing, but I have no idea what it means--how it
cashes out operationally.

Damien Broderick