[ExI] What SF do you plan to read next?

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 01:41:13 UTC 2010

On 23 March 2010 09:23, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 3/22/2010 5:23 PM, Max More wrote:
>>
>> To read next:
>> Darwinia, by Robert Charles Wilson. (Reading March 2010)
>> Stardust, by Neil Gaiman.
>> The Dreaming Dragons by Damien Broderick.
>> Vacuum Flowers, Michael Swanwick
>> Arthur C. Clarke, A Fall of Moondust.
>> Stations of the Tide, by Michael Swanwick.
>> Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman.
>> Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman.
>> Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon
>> Iron Man, by Peter David.
>> Titan by John Varley.
>> The Playboy Book of Science Fiction.
>
> Mostly good choices. DARWINIA is interesting, but look for SPIN as well;
> it's brilliant. Peter Watts's BLINDSIGHT is perhaps the best book of the
> last decade. Swanwick's JACK FAUST. The TITAN trilogy is worth perservering
> with, although it has its long dull stretches. Have you tried Stan
> Robinson's RED, GREEN, BLUE MARS trilogy? (You might find the political
> ethos disagreeable.) Charlie's MERCHANT PRINCES series is lots of fun,
> although it loses focus as it goes on. Alas, sf has been mostly replaced by
> vast fatasies (sic), which are mostly not nearly as interesting as Stross's
> faux-fantasies-sf-in-disguise.
>
> Damien Broderick

My 2 cents:

Cory Doctorow's Little Brother and Makers
Charlie Stross's Accelerando if you haven't read it already (although
I couldn't make it through the last book/part)

My published reading list is out of date, but here it is:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dh285fr_22gdk6x6c4

(btw Damien I read The Ruined Queen of Harvest World. I enjoyed it,
but I suspect I'm not enough of a science fiction insider to really
get it; particularly, I've never touched the ouvre you base it in)

--
Emlyn

http://point7.wordpress.com - My blog
Find me on Facebook and Buzz