[ExI] The "real" world

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 23 05:06:02 UTC 2010

Giulio writes:

> Facebook and other online venues are part of our reality and,
> therefore, are as "real" as bricks and mortar. I don't know what
> reality is but, perhaps, reality is what we choose to pay attention
> to. In this sense, Facebook is more "real" than bricks. I am unable to
> understand why so many people play Farmville but, if they do, there is
> certainly a reason, and a very valid one from their point of view.
>
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "If you've spent time on Facebook, you might be mystified by all the
>> people tending to their virtual farms and virtual pets. I know I am.
>> Not only does this seem a strange way to spend time, but here's the
>> even weirder part: a lot of these people are spending real money to
>> buy virtual products, like pretend guns and fertilizer, to gain
>> advantage in these Web-based games."

Well, so an obvious inquiry is, does Second Life have an equivalent
of Facebook yet?

And when/if it does, will we find those denizens with their own
virtual virtual farms and pets?

Lee

P.S. Giulio wrote
   "I agree with Ben and Lee. These anti-uploading rants sound like
   deep ecology nonsense to me. Listen to me, there is nothing sublime
   in a senile brain slowly dying in a rotting body. The sooner we can
   leave these things behind us, the better."

Very well said.

   "Moreover, we used to agree on self-ownership and radical morphological freedom. I hope we still do."

We seem to. Since that's the case, *now* it the time for some new
threads criticizing our position (thanks to whoever in advance).