[ExI] The "real" world

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 23:11:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> Mike writes
>
>> I think uploading is not the only option.
>
> Hell, it's not *even* an option, now!
>
>> Oh, by "leave these things behind" you meant the design flaw of
>> non-renewal due to age, right?  :)
>
> We've described over and over the advantages of
> running on distributed hardware
>
>    safety
>    reduced need for backups
>    simple incremental hardware upgrades
>
> So, no, I think that what was meant was literally "leave
> behind". You have a problem with that?  :-)
>
> Why anything else? What other option compares at all to it?

Compared to cloud computing the LeeCorbin runtimes?  Nothing.

...though, as you say above - uploading isn't even an option, now.
Taking better care of the hardware hosting your.. identity (however it
may be defined) is probably a good compromise between self-destruction
by debauchery and a cryotank wait for upload.

I meant only to express that there may exist alternatives to uploading
for the indefinite lifespan goal.  The technology that lets us
disassemble and model subneuronal processes will probably make it
possible to create artificial systems before the uploading process is
considered safe enough for production use.  Artificial systems that
enhance or support existing structures are probably more readily
accepted than outright replacements.  I would have never expected
people to pay large amounts of money to have botulism toxin injected
into their face, but Botox is doing well in the cosmetic 'enhancement'
business.  I was thinking also of the technology to, for example,
restart cellular rejuvenation after age has slowed it to ineffectual
levels. (or whatever causes the phenomenon known as "age")

Suppose that a special diet would halt the process of aging and allow
those who practice this restricted diet to literally live forever
(barring physical injuries that induce a state of death) - what
percentage of the world's population either could afford it or have
the discipline to practice it unerringly?