[ExI] The "real" world

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 13:47:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> People jump on new diets all the time. If we had *scientific
> proof* that this diet would do as you say, there would be
> absolutely no shortage of takers.
>
> Naturally, almost none of this applies to CR, a painful and
> unproven regimen.

granted that the question was (as worded) was too easy.  Of course if
there were magic canned beans that granted immortality, you'd trade a
small herd of sacred cows for them.  :)  The other parameters you
called me on are also important for that hypothetical question to be
answered.

However, I posed that question as an alternative to the currently
unavailable uploading grail.  It seems obvious that many on this list
would take advantage of the guaranteed-to-halt-aging diet.  Given what
we know about proper nutrition, why does anyone eat the "typical
American diet"?  I think it's because "it tastes good now" is more
compelling to most than "enjoy long life by denying foody pleasures."
Also, if you subscribe fully to the exponential improvements in
technology leading to the singularity in your lifetime then there
should be no reason to deny yourself because any damage you do today
will be 'cured' in the near future.

Or is my observation of the Singularity-cult mistaken?

(yes, I know calling it a 'cult' is an unfair characterization.)