[ExI] What SF do you plan to read next?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 19:05:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Max More  wrote:
> QUESTION (to Damien, especially, but to other long-time SF readers):
> Mentioning Asimov reminds me of a parody essay(?)/story(?) that I'm pretty
> sure was written by John Sladek, in which various well know SF authors names
> are amusingly skewed, so that, for instance, Isaac Asimov becomes (something
> like) I Click As I Move. Can anyone tell me what book/article/collection I'm
> thinking of?
>

>From Wikipedia:

John Sladek's parodic short story "Broot Force" (supposedly written by
"I-Click As-I-Move") concerns a group of Asimov-style robots whose
actions are constrained by the "Three Laws of Robish", which are
"coincidentally" identical to Asimov's laws. The robots in Sladek's
story all manage to find logical loopholes in the Three Laws, usually
with bloody results. Sladek later wrote a novel, Tik-Tok (1983), in
which a robot discovers that his so-called "asimov circuits" are not
restraining his behavior at all, making him in effect a sociopath; he
comes to doubt whether "asimov circuits" are even technically
possible, deciding that they are simply a pseudo-religious belief held
by robots.

BillK