[ExI] Stephen Baxter's Titan

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun May 2 11:24:26 UTC 2010

2010/4/29 samantha <sjatkins at mac.com>
> Carter may have belonged to a fairly fundamentalist sect but he was pretty liberal.  Even Reagan was liberal in his religious remarks compared to GW Bush and to some degree Bush senior as well.  The latter claimed that atheists were not really Americans, for instance.

Why, I am inclined to believe that monotheists are not really
European, so I discern a simmetry here. :-D

> I had more than a few friends who did heavy science, especially physics majors when space was HOT and there was that push to not be left behind in science and math.  In the 70s most of them ended up moving to software or in some cases, pumping gas.  It was pretty sad.

Indeed. I remember children wanting to be "scientists" or
"astronauts"; that this is not the case anymore is eloquent of
changing societal values, relative status levels and even monetary
recognition. It remains to be be seen how long a society can survive
where a scientist is somebody who was unfortunately not gifted enough
to become a merchant banker, a fund manager or a marketing
consultant...

--
Stefano Vaj