[ExI] Honda's High Tech Weight Gain Device

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 11 04:39:09 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of The Avantguardian
> Subject: [ExI] Honda's High Tech Weight Gain Device
>
> The technology and engineering is very cool but I would have
> prefered a long-range high-speed vehicle rather than an
> excuse not to walk a few hundred yards...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuIJRsAuCHQ&feature=popt02us03
>
> Stuart LaForge

Stuart, it isn't about avoiding walking but rather the absolutely obvious
application for this technology: racing.  In modern motorized racing, the
fundamental problem is that the vehicles are now just going too damn fast,
making it too dangerous for the participants.  Over time the vehicles in any
given class converge in design, so that they are functionally identical, and
the strategies for going at top speed also converge, making all the
participants appear nearly identical.  For instance, check out the turn at
about 1:07 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3po4aI72ovQ

Even those who like motorcycle racing will hafta admit it is almost boring.
The bikes all look alike, the best riders all ride alike.

Now consider a new game: racing single wheeled vehicles.  Coolness number 1.
it isn't at all obvious how to make the best design,  2. the winning
strategy has not yet been invented or discovered.  3.  Lotta new technology
will be spun off from people trying to find out how to best do it.  4.
Single wheel vehicles will not be very fast, they can't be, too many design
restrictions, so 5.  They will crash a lot but not slay the proles riding
them or seriously damage the vehicles, which would make the game interesting
and hilarious, which would 6. help put the butts in the seats and make
money.  What's not to like?

This sport is ready to go now.  Take this gadget Honda has developed, set up
two cones on a flat surface such as a warehouse, race the oval.  Or race
them on ice.  Or mud.  Or on a rubber track like those nifty cushioned
athletic tracks our poverty-stricken Taxifornia schools all seem to have.
Or make them run thru an obstacle course of hay bales and gak pits, that
kind of thing.  Or make robotic single wheeled races, now that would be cool
as all hell.