[ExI] two years in the slammer for blammisphy?

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 22:34:16 UTC 2010

Spike wrote:
Vienna was saved by the attitude of its people.
That tells what kind of people the Poles are.

But as I recall, Poland has many times been crushed and partitioned by it's
stronger neighbors (so much for the theory of tough Poles, but then being
bullied long enough will make just about anyone get mean).  They did appear
to have a golden age, at least until the Swedes and Cossacks (I guess much
tougher foes than the Ottomans...) came along and burned down & looted the
country.  And Germany at one time seemed to have an itch every few
generations to invade poor Poland!

But the Poles now seem to have a successful handle on their economy and are
will known for their scientific and literary contributions to the world.
But militarily, they generally have not done so well.  There is a famous
picture of Polish mounted cavalry lancers (could have been straight out the
17th century) fighting Nazi panzer tanks.  What were they thinking? lol

I once came across a film (while perusing in a a video store) where the plot
had German young people breaking into a WW2 museum, putting on old military
uniforms, taking out for rides German tanks & half-tracks from the war, and
crossing the border into Poland.  The poor Polish countryfolk they encounter
think they are being invaded again!  I never actually saw the movie but
wonder how successful it was as a comedy.

John