[ExI] de-fonding memories in the pursuit of accuracy, was: european history: was two years in the slammer for blammisphy?

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu May 13 16:56:33 UTC 2010

> > > ...On Behalf Of moulton at moulton.com
> > >
> > > Fred
> >
> > Fred, this was part of an offlist reply to an offlist comment ...
>
> Oh my, did I do this? Oups...

No problem Tomasz, no harm done.  {8-]  The regulars here know I don't take
myself too seriously.  {8^D  You are a gift here bud.  I don't think we have
had poles here before, altho I might be mistaken on that.

> >  Tomasz' comments were an education.
>
> Wow, thanks. Look ma', I am an educatron! :-)
>
> Regards,
> Tomasz Rola

And a good one you are, thanks.  Damien Broderick is my other highly
esteemed history professor, having had to explain to me a 1960s event known
as the Vietnam Conflict.

I went back and found Michener's Poland, realized that I had in fact
conflated two very different events in Polish history.

This brings up an interesting question, as I am currently writing a book
about my memories from my quarter of a century working at Lockheed.  After I
wrote a few of the stories, it occurred to me that I might be coloring the
memories: writing them as happier, funnier, less boring etc, than they
actually were at the time.  Perhaps some of the local psychology experts
here can comment.  As I understand it, we rewrite memories every time we
access them, and the memories are rewritten in accordance with our mood at
the time.  Being a generally cheerful sort, I tend to recall my past fondly,
even if it might have sucked at the time.  {8^D  I do not know how to inject
suck into my fond memories.  Would it be better to intentionally get myself
pissed off about something before I start writing?  How does one
intentionally get pissed off?  Would the fond memories overpower the
intentional irritation?