[ExI] languages and scientific advancement, was RE: two years in the slammer for blammisphy?

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu May 13 23:27:41 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Tomasz Rola
>
> Overally, I consider people of Jewish ancestry to be quite
> bright. It struck me very early, how many of Jewish-looking
> names I have been meeting with during my books explorations.
> Names, like Teller, von Neumann, Erdos or Ulam...
> Regards,
> Tomasz Rola

Tomasz, you posted a loooota good stuff here.  I wish I had more time to
reply, but family matters beg my immediate attention, as well as a
motorcycle/camping trip, so it will have to wait.

Regarding the above names, Feynman commented somewhere, possibly in his
"Surely You're Joking," about a discussion among the scientists that perhaps
Muslim nations would resent America for giving the atomic bomb to Israel.
But if one looked around at Los Alamos in the 1940s it wouldn't be too
inaccurate to argue that in a sense, Israel gave the atomic bomb to America.

In any case, I am interested in how memes travel at different rates in
different languages, and in different cultures.  Here on our own list, we
have marvelled at how transhumanism is wildly active in Italy, yet right
next door in France we hear almost nothing.  Much speculation, but no one
really could figure out why that happens.  The Italian tranhumanists seem to
have all these intricate subsets of transhumanism, and such interest in
tranhumanist activism, whereas here in the states, we all just kinda hang
out together, we don't really do a lot other than socialize.  We do not know
or care what particular brand of transhumanist the others are.  Why is it
that California seems to be such a hotbed of transhumanism?  But not so much
Florida?  Puzzling.