[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon May 17 18:26:04 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of David Lubkin
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Cryonics is getting weird
>
> Spike wrote:
>
> >Richardson's death illustrates that contracts should be set
> up to allow
> >*any* person to collect a monetary reward from the estate of the
> >cryonicist by contributing to the successful suspension upon her
> >demise, with bonuses awarded for alacrity.
>
> In particular, something like:
>
> Any medical facility promptly and correctly applying the
> biostasis protocol will receive a grant of $100,000... -- David.

Ja!  There are many human motives that cause us to do all the weird stuff
that we do.  Most of us here have family or friends who firmly believe that
we sinners have only one shot at eternity: to confess our sins and hope the
flying spaghetti monster forgives us, or some random deity will do likewise,
and that this all requires faith and a proper burial, etc.  Regardless of
our wishes, these family or friends might have far too much legal authority
over what happens to our rapidly cooling remains.

In all the motives that we humans carry, religious faith, sense of duty,
conscience, family obligations, greed, etc, I wish to put all my chips on
greed.  Self interest is the motive that to me is the easiest to understand,
the most reliable and trustworthy of human motives, even if often disparaged
as the basest.  If a team of memetically widely disparate individuals must
work together, greed is the motive I want in the driver's seat.