[ExI] authors, italian and otherwise

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed May 19 03:17:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Damien Broderick wrote:

> On 5/17/2010 10:50 PM, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> <lots of good stuff>
>
> In my ignorance of all those writers and books, I am tempted to suggest
> as well Stanislaw Lem's HOSPITAL OF THE TRANSFIGURATION. Here's my
> comments on the book from my study TRANSREALIST FICTION:
>
> <In his first published novel, Hospital of the Transfiguration,
> Lem's beautifully observed vignettes fold together, with exquisite
> placement,
> like the elements of a ritual, perhaps an exorcism, holding the past
> even as it purges its unbearable grief. This is territory trodden more
> recently, of course, by such writers as D. M. Thomas and Martin Amis,
> using much the same transgressive apparatus.

Thanks for mentioning Lem, that was very interesting. I've decided to not
include him in the list, mainly because the list was to be about writers
(and books) that could help with understanding Poland. So, I went with
writers, who wrote about specifically Polish subjects. Sometimes, they
also wrote about bigger things, like Prus' "Faraon" ("Pharaoh") or
Sienkiewicz' "Quo vadis". But generally, they were doing their work in
some connection to Poland. Lem, on the contrary, AFAIR only wrote two
books that can be described as dealing with Poland, that is "Hospital of
transfiguration" and "High castle", his autobiography. Also, his works put
him in a class of his own, as kind of citizen of the Universe. Of course,
he is (was, sadly) a great Polish writer, just not very suitable for this
time.

Besides, I've alreade written about him, so my feeling was, I would do him
a disservice by bringing this out again and again.

This is a good moment to add an English-speaking writer and historian,
Norman Davies. I think he is doing a good job describing problems of this
region's past (sure, there is also some criticism, but I was never
interested enough to investigate). I've been able to lay my hands on two
of his books:

- Mikrokosmos (??- "Microcosm") - it's about history of
Wroclaw/Breslau/Vratislavia, quite complicated subject somewhat similar to
this of Gdansk/Danzig one. I've made it through the foreword.

- Powstanie '44 ("Rise 44") - about Warsaw Uprising in 1944 (not to be
mistaken with Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in 1943 - yes, there were two
uprisings). I am on page 30 of this 959-page work and so far, so good :-).
Only I fret a little about English edition - I've heard it was cut a bit
to make it easier for western readers. So I have somewhat mixed feelings,
being not sure if I should give it here as worth reading, or something
else.

There was also Polish historian, Pawel Jasienica, who wrote a lot of
popular books on our history and has been translated to English too. I am
still in search of time to read him, but from what I've heard the books
were good.

Well, the subject is really broad. One other writer I've decided to omit
was Stanislaw Grzesiuk. He was a colorful figure, in a manner similar to
Sergiusz Piasecki. His books deal with life of pre-war Warsaw outlaws as
well as his stay in concentration camps (quite a surprise when I read
them, they were not what I expected). Only, in contrast to Piasecki, he
was rather supporting of communism. Or maybe, he expected/hoped it would
help finish the poverty.

And I didn't mention books written by our numerous minorities members - to
be frank, I can only suspect they've been written but I had no time to
prove it.

BTW, Grzesiuk was also singing "outlaw folklore" songs as well as playing
banjola (kind of banjo) and mandolin. Some of it can be found on youtube.
In Polish. Well... I like his songs, but I am Pole so I am able to grasp
the words. I am not sure how about other folks :-).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola