[ExI] two years in the slammer for blammisphy?

ddraig ddraig at gmail.com
Wed May 19 13:33:11 UTC 2010

2010/5/12 John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>

> But the Poles now seem to have a successful handle on their economy and are
> will known for their scientific and literary contributions to the world.
> But militarily, they generally have not done so well.  There is a famous
> picture of Polish mounted cavalry lancers (could have been straight out the
> 17th century) fighting Nazi panzer tanks.  What were they thinking? lol

My brother knows a guy whose father was in one of the german tank units. The
story he told is that the poles were told that the german tanks were fakes,
wooden bodies on top of car chassis. They galloped at full charge at the
tanks, the germans sitting in them astonished at what they were seeing and
wondering what on EARTH the poles were up to. The officer in charge galloped
up to the lead tank, said "See! Wood!", slashed at the tank with his sabre,
which broke.

He at that point realised that the tank was real, and he had led his men
into a slaughter. At which point he pulled out his pistol and shot himself.
The germans promptly killed all of the poles.

No idea if this is true or not, but it makes more sense than "brave poles
died in futile suicide charge against modern tanks"

Are you sure you have seen a picture? Not just heard a story or seen it in a
movie?

Dwayne
--
  ddraig at pobox.com irc.deoxy.org #chat
  ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...