[ExI] Cryonics and reanimation/simulation

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Wed May 19 23:37:36 UTC 2010

Dave Sill wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM, John Grigg
> <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious to know how many of you believe an actual biological
>> reanimation (and not simply a scan & simulation) will be possible at
>> some point (and if that is preferable to other options).  I'm just not
>> content with having a copy made.
>>

> Firstly, I don't think scanning and simulating a brain is simple.
>
> By reanimation do you mean "simply" thawing and nano-repairing a brain
> and implanting it in a cloned body? Or would a nano-constructed
> replica from a scan qualify? The latter, of course, would "just" be a
> copy.

I disagree with the notion of "just a copy".  But I don't want to reopen
the never ending continuity of identity debate at this time. :)

> Personally, I don't care a whole lot about the platform on which my
> consciousness is running, as long as it *is* running.

Me too.  I care more about the quality of the running instance, its
completeness and performance, than I care about platform.  I would
personally be delighted to be reanimated into a really good future
upload space with options to create one or more bodies of my choice
(human, android, defies description, whatever) to run around in physical
space when I so desired.    But that's me.  :)

- samantha