[ExI] essentialism and/or continuity

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon May 24 11:18:44 UTC 2010

On 24 May 2010 12:53, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interestingly, quantum teleportation necessarily destroys the
> original, making it more like walking than classical teleportation.

Indeed. The bottom line, however, is that *any* teleport procedure
which produces apparently unaffected travellers at the other end
(apparentlty for those who can only judge, that is third parties) is
going to be considered, well, a teleport.

But you might find the morning you have to leave to Japan somebody on
your lawn, with a leaflet saying "Wait! If you go through that, your
phisical body will be destroyed, you will be dead, and somebody else
will take your place in the world".

This certainly would give you pause. Then, when the alternative is to
make your partner who is waiting you at the teleport station angry, to
go through a 20-hours flight in the airport system, and look like a
weirdo to most of your (apparently unaffected) friends, I suspect that
you will end up saying, "what the hell".

--
Stefano Vaj