[ExI] Gene Patents: Good or Bad?

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Wed May 26 10:25:13 UTC 2010

Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Sondre Bjellås <sondre-list at bjellas.com> wrote:
>
>> You are exactly right regarding searching for any topic on the web ;-)
>> Which is why I'm asking "who and what" is the reason for your statement:
>> "Clearly, yes, patenting stimulates innovation"
>> The content I read on patents does not clearly say that patent stimulates,
>> on the contrary, I must be reading the wrong material.
>> Check for instance "Against Intellectual Property" by Stephan
>> Kinsella: http://www.scribd.com/doc/7511095/Against-Intellectual-Property-by-Stephan-Kinsella-
>>

> ### OK, let's start at the beginning:
>
> http://www.jstor.org/pss/4132712
>
> Countries without strong patent protection did not produce innovations
> except in the industrial branches where profits from innovation could
> be realized without patent protection.

One can ask, how would the profits be realized if everyone was
immediately able to legally copy the industrial inventions that would
have been patent protected before?  Wouldn't the R&D cost be a
disadvantage to the creating company as all other competitors gut the
successful results of that R&D for free or only for the cost of
implementing the known working design?

- samantha