[ExI] Gene Patents: Good or Bad?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed May 26 16:43:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Sondre Bjellås <sondre-list at bjellas.com> wrote:
> Obviously would it be positive for a single entity to gain

etc.

### Sondre, you did not comment on the article I linked to, which
describes a research project (not a review of other literature) whose
results support the statement that patents are efficient (in the
economic meaning of the term) in stimulating innovation, compared to
the absence of patenting. You did not comment on whether you agree
with the premises (stated in the abstract), you did not comment
whether you agree with the methodology, or whether you trust/distrust
the veracity of the presentation (whether the scientist lied through
her teeth or told the truth about the data she saw and what she did
with it).

Let me reiterate: I am completely uninterested in theorizing about the
ideology of patent law, or exchanging links to various diatribes. I am
interested in reviewing primary research literature either supporting
or disproving the notion that patent law is economically efficient
through stimulating innovation, compared to either absence of
intellectual property protection or protection through other
mechanisms.

Please feel free to dissect the article I provided (not as a
definitive argument of course, just for starters). Once you do that,
you can cite literature in favor of your ideas about patenting, and I
will do my best to analyze it.

Rafal