[ExI] Gene Patents: Good or Bad?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu May 27 20:33:48 UTC 2010

On 5/27/2010 2:53 PM, Ben Zaiboc wrote:

> maybe I'm too attached to the idea that someone else shouldn't have legal rights over something that my body has had since birth, that nobody invented, to think rationally about it.

I understand you can't even take a photograph of someone in the street
and profit from their likeness without their express permission. But
apparently it's okay to rifle the contents of their cells, and not only
that but to obtain a decree saying that you now own the pilfered
information and you henceforth have to pay them for its use. It might
have cost a fortune to capture and manipulate that information, but
roaming photographers have expenses too.

Damien Broderick