[ExI] scramjet

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri May 28 02:42:13 UTC 2010

The United States Air Force's X-51A Waverider, an experimental aircraft,
has set a new record for hypersonic flight: Mach 6.

The craft flew at six times the speed of sound for three minutes and 20
seconds, according to the Associated Press. A B-52 Stratofortress
released the X-51A Waverider off the southern California coast on
Wednesday, whereupon the craft's scramjet engine accelerated it to Mach 6.

"We are ecstatic to have accomplished many of the X-51A test points
during its first hypersonic mission," said Charlie Brink, an X-51A
program manager with the Air Force Research Laboratory at
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, in the article. "We equate this
leap in engine technology as equivalent to the post-World War II jump
from propeller-driven aircraft to jet engines."

The previous record for a hypersonic scramjet burn was just 12 seconds,
according to the report.