[ExI] black atheists society

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon May 31 06:52:21 UTC 2010

I especially like this observation:

"It's sort of unfortunate that we even need to use that word
[atheist]. People aren't running around going, I don't believe in Poseidon."

This reminds me... For many years, when people ask me "Are you an
atheist", I typically respond: "Do you mean: Do I think I can
disprove the likely existence of a god? If so, it depends on which
god you're talking about. In that sense, I'm an atheist about the
Judeo-Christian god.

If you mean, do I lack belief in a god (but don't necessary think
such belief can be disproven specifically)? I'd say I'm am an atheist
about Poseidon, as well as Odin, Zeus, Amaterasu, Tatehaya
Susanoo-no-Mikoto, Enki, Osirus, Mama Zara, Svarog, Vishnu, Anansi
(except as a character in Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys), and probably
nay other supposed god you might mention. However, oddly, hardly
anyone asks if I'm atheist about these other supposed gods.

However, I have read many issues of Marvel's Thor comic, and look
forward to the movie next year.

Max