[ExI] two observations

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon May 31 21:42:54 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
> Subject: Re: [ExI] two observations
>
> 2010/5/31 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
> > Observation 2, just today, I learned that earwigs can fly!  I never
> > even knew they had wings.  I wasn't sure I was believing what I saw...
>
> "I done seen 'bout ever'thing fly but never seen no earwig fly"
>
> I think it's interesting the way spiders fly...

I have seen that.  In Florida, banana spiders form a kind of a kite with
their legs, and reel themselves out with their own webs.  They don't fly
above the attach point, but they can go out pi/4 radians or more from
vertical on a breezy day.  Rather I should say I haven't personally
witnessed one fly above the attach point.

Regarding the flying earwig, had I ever actually hurled one, her instinct
would perhaps kick in and she would fly down to the earth.  I looked closely
and couldn't even see that she had wings, but clearly she does.  By
extrapolation, perhaps there are other cyprinidae which also have vestigial
or seldom-used wings.  These may only be utilized when some oddball actually
hurls the beast skyward.  Perhaps you have heard of the horse wisperer?  I
am now the roach hurler.  I have been entertaining and disgusting my
long-suffering family at the Memorial Day picnic today by seeking out and
hurling various bugs, in order to study their reactions.  I have been
requested to take my investigations far from the actual food.  Isaac seems
to be getting into the spirit of the activity.  It must be a lot of fun to
be aged three.