[ExI] hot processors?

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 3 03:07:01 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Tomasz Rola [mailto:rtomek at ceti.com.pl]
Subject: Re: [ExI] hot processors?

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, spike wrote:

> "spike":
> >>It put out a lot of heat while it was running: perhaps there is some
> >>kind of thermal protection? ...

>...1. You sure this is about cpu temperature? I don't recall you giving any
figures, so how do you know it?

Don't know this, just a theory.  Turned out wrong.  Read on.

>5. Wrt switching off, check your power settings in Windows (and in BIOS,
too, if we are at it). If you plan to run something at night, you don't want
the thing to hibernate two hours after you go to bed. Just tell it to stay
always on while on A/C power...

Thanks!  Did this.  It had a default to turn off after half an hour even if
plugged in.  I told it to stay the heck on and WORK, all night, or until I
tell it to stop.  In return I bought it a nice laptop cooler, so it should
be eager to work for me.

>6. AFAIK there is no way batteries could go low while you are plugged to
the wall. Unless something is broken...

OK cool, I thought that would be the case, but didn't know for sure.

>BTW, you don't want to turn fancy screensaver in your laptop. Instead, you
may want to blank and switch off the display after some no-activity
period...

I have the laptop driving a big screen, with the laptop lid closed.

>Now, you can run your excel sim and have a look on cpu temps given by
NHC...

Thanks Tomasz, this is cool.  The laptop looks like it is about 6 times
faster than the desktop it replaces.