[ExI] The answer to tireless stupidity

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 3 18:50:49 UTC 2010

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Davis

>Chatbot Wears Down Proponents of Anti-Science Nonsense

>http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/mimssbits/25964/?nlid=3722

>Best, Jeff Davis

The immediate problem I see with this is that both sides can set up a
chatbot, which then chatter away tirelessly about inane trivia through the
night.  But other than that, the chatbots are not like their human
counterparts.

On the subject of global warming, there is no need to have humans in that
loop. So impervious are the participants on both sides to actual scientific
data and mathematical models, it would soon become impossible to distinguish
between the chat generated by this means vs the human input, so mired is
this particular topic in culture, politics and even religion.

I can think of a possible criterion to distinguish between human and
mechanical conversation: as soon either side actually changes its views on
global warming or even demonstrates it has actually learned, we know for
sure that is a chatbot, for humans have never been observed to change their
views on this topic.