[ExI] Australian dollar

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 13:39:23 UTC 2010

Imports themselves are not to blame. Also, recall the context of my statement
here: BillK wrote, "Currency devaluation has many bad consequences, of course,
as well as the good consequences of possibly increasing exports and reducing
imports."

He's, obviously, here pointing to an upside to currency devaluation. I was
questioning whether this was really an upside after all. What's wrong, after
all, with imports? They're a sign of trade -- that people somewhere else want to
sell stuff to you. This is usually a great thing -- it spreads the division of
labor ever further -- making for greater efficiency in production -- and usually
provides you with more things to choose from.

We are not "spending ourselves to a brutal catastrophe." The US government is.
If you're worried about spending being too high (by whose reckoning?), then the
thing to do is stop government-sponsored credit expansion. Also, stop government
debt-financing -- which is one of the main drivers of credit policy (credit
expansion allows big debtors to borrow more; the biggest debtor in any modern
economy is its government).

This debt, too, doesn't need to be paid back. It should be defaulted. Defaulting
on the government debt will make creditors unlikely to loan to the government
again. More importantly, paying it off will involve coercion -- via taxation or
some other coercive means. Yes, I know, the wealthy creditors who lent to the
government enjoy being paid off by taxes and the like. Well, that has to stop
and would undermine the Hamiltonian notion of having national debt to cleave the
wealthy to the government. (Granted, my recommendation here would be unpopular
with these same creditors and they would try to persuade everyone that the world
will end if the government default or were just abolished outright.*)

Regards,

Dan

* Which is _the_ libertarian position. Libertarians who advocate government are
inconsistent.