[ExI] Let's play What If.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 4 21:04:08 UTC 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Dave Sill wrote:

> If I have two identical apples in my hands, they're still two separate apples, not one.

If the apples are truly identical then if you exchange their position then you have made no change at all, the universe has no way of knowing it happened or any reason for caring.

>>> I'd never agree to allow a non-destructive upload of myself without it being made clear to the upload immediately upon activation that that's what it is.

>> If you are very very very lucky maybe someday Mr. Jupiter Brain will give you that choice, or at least pretend to give you that choice.

> I'm assuming that the experiment is being conducted by benevolent, trustworthy parties. If that's not true, all bets are off.

If Mr. Jupiter Brain decides, for whatever reason, to upload you rather than just off you then he will not be conducting an experiment, he already knows what will happen; and if he is kind (and I don't know that he will be) and knows you have an irrational fear of being uploaded then he just won't tell you that you are an upload. Ignorance is bliss.

 John K Clark

 John K Clark