[ExI] Fwd: [london-hack-space] Request for knowledge: Implantable Microchips

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 6 19:06:30 UTC 2010

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Bryan Bishop
Subject: Re: [ExI] Fwd: [london-hack-space] Request for knowledge:
Implantable Microchips

Spike-- just to be clear, I didn't write the original email, but I did think
it worth consideration. I don't particularly have a need to microchip myself
as a cat/dog/antelope. But I imagine someone.. uh. Might?- Bryan

Oh ok cool, I did miss that.  When the pet chips became available a few
years ago, I thought it might be cool to have something like that to keep
one's medical records, blood type, drug allergies and so forth.  I didn't
get one because of the same reasons your article mentions: there is no
standard, and I don't want to keep having it changed every five years.  The
guy who wrote the article commented "I am not a pussy." and I am not either,
don't even play one on TV, but I don't want to keep changing a subcutaneous
chip as often as major music distribution formats change.  I am one who has
already lived thru vinyl LPs, 8 track tapes, cassette tapes, CDs, DVDs, MP3,
and now whatever it is that young people use to buy their music.  I have
already rebought my favorite albums thrice.