[ExI] I love the world. =)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 11:55:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Charlie Stross  wrote:
> Humanity *in the abstract* might adapt; but if we have to go there, you and I,
> personally, are probably going to die. Even today, all our supply chains have
> adapted to just-in-time production and shipping, relying on networked
> communications to ensure that stuff gets where it's needed; we can't revert
> to doing things the old way -- the equipment has long since been scrapped --
> and we'd rapidly starve. Your average big box supermarket only holds about
> 24-48 hours worth of provisions, and their logistics infrastructure is highly
> tuned for efficiency. Now add in gas stations, railroad signalling, electricity
> grid control ... If we have to Nuke The Net Or Die, it'll mean the difference
> between a 100% die-back and a 90% die-back.
>
> Meanwhile, the Mormons, with their requirement to keep a year of canned
> goods in the cellar, will be laughing. (Well, praying.)

It's bad enough even with your 'highly-tuned' supply system. That's
only for popular items.

If something breaks nowadays, you just can't get spares. You have to
buy a new one.
For large items, if you need an unusual spare part for a Fiat car,
chances are you will wait a month while they ship it in from Italy.

BillK