[ExI] I love the world. =)

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:36:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:17 AM, Charlie Stross <charlie.stross at gmail.com> wrote:
> Humanity *in the abstract* might adapt; but if we have to go there, you and I, personally, are probably going to die. Even today, all our supply chains have adapted to just-in-time production and shipping, relying on networked communications to ensure that stuff gets where it's needed; we can't revert to doing things the old way -- the equipment has long since been scrapped -- and we'd rapidly starve. Your average big box supermarket only holds about 24-48 hours worth of provisions, and their logistics infrastructure is highly tuned for efficiency. Now add in gas stations, railroad signalling, electricity grid control ... If we have to Nuke The Net Or Die, it'll mean the difference between a 100% die-back and a 90% die-back.

Of course.  But the usual scenario about AI destroying humanity (with
or without computronium) puts me in a mindset that some humans
remaining, no matter how distant from my own
person/family/tribe/ethnicity/etc. is still better than none at all.
I'm willing to expand the definition of humanity to include
uploaded-state behavior patterns/identities too though - so maybe the
human Farmville is also better than nonexistence.