[ExI] Eliezer S. Yudkowsky, Singularitarian Principles. Update?

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 11 20:13:47 UTC 2010

On 11/11/2010 11:14 AM, Richard Loosemore wrote:

>> Yudkowsky is one of the easiest people to contact in the entire
>> singularity community:  just join the SL4 mailing list (which he
>> created) and say something that annoys him.

>That shouldn't be difficult for "Singularity Utopia"... Damien Broderick

Hi Utopia,

Do take Damien's comment as the constructive criticism he intended please.
When Eli used to hang out here, his theme went something like this:  The
singularity is coming regardless.  Let us work to make it a positive thing.

My constructive criticism of your earlier posts was that your theme is: the
singularity will be a positive thing regardless.

Can you see why Eli would find that attitude annoying and dangerous?  Do you
see why plenty of people here would find that notion annoying and dangerous?
The singularity is not necessarily a good thing, but we know that a
no-singularity future is a bad thing.  I am in Eli's camp: if we work at it,
we can make it a good thing.