[ExI] Homosexuality was Singularity was EP, was Margaret Mead controversy

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 04:44:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:43 PM,  Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Same place as everything else, evolution, selection of genes in the
>> past.
>>
> What's the evolutionary/genetic explanation for homosexuality?

That is somewhat the wrong question.  The right question is where does
heterosexuality come from?  We know considerable about this and how it
randomly goes "wrong" (to be politically correct).

The embryonic default is female and female sexual orientation, i.e.,
attracted to males.  We know considerable about the biochemistry of
how this happens and what can go "wrong" with it.  For example, male
homosexuality rises with the number of previous male births for a
given mother for a well  understood reason.

In the EEA (which included polygamy) a few males being oriented toward
males made very little difference in the survival of genes.

I can go into a lot more detail if you really care.

Keith Henson