[ExI] Eliezer S. Yudkowsky, Singularitarian Principles. Update?

Aleksei Riikonen aleksei at iki.fi
Sat Nov 13 19:31:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 3:16 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I realize he found a wealthy patron with Peter Thiel, and so money has
> been given to the Singularity Institute to keep it afloat.  They have
> had some nice looking conferences (I have never attended one), but I
> am still not sure to what extent Thiel has donated money to SI or for
> how long he will continue to do it.  I'd like to think that it's
> enough money that Eliezer and Michael Anissimov can live comfortably.

SIAI is not dependent on Peter Thiel for money (though it's very nice
he has been a major contributor). For example, here is the page for
the last fundraising sprint:

http://singinst.org/grants/challenge

The goal of $200k was fully reached, and as far as I am aware, Peter
Thiel wasn't involved. (Though I can't rule out him being involved
with a moderate amount in this as well.)

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei