[ExI] Hard Takeoff

Aware aware at awareresearch.com
Sun Nov 14 19:26:25 UTC 2010

2010/11/14 Michael Anissimov <michaelanissimov at gmail.com>:
> We have some reason to believe that a roughly human-level AI could rapidly
> improve its own capabilities, fast enough to get far beyond the human level
> in a relatively short amount of time.  The reason why is that a
> "human-level" AI would not really be "human-level" at all -- it would have
> all sorts of inherently exciting abilities, simply by virtue of its
> substrate and necessities of construction:
> 1.  ability to copy itself
> 2.  stay awake 24/7
> 3.  spin off separate threads of attention in the same mind
> 4.  overclock helpful modules on-the-fly
> 5.  absorb computing power (humans can't do this)
> 6.  constructed from scratch with self-improvement in mind
> 7.  the possibility of direct integration with new sensory modalities, like
> a codic modality
> 8.  the ability to accelerate its own thinking speed depending on the speed
> of available computers
> When you have a human-equivalent mind that can copy itself, it would be in
> its best interest to rent computing power to perform tasks.

Michael, what has always frustrated me about Singularitarians, apart
from their anthropomorphizing of "mind" and "intelligence", is the
tendency, natural for isolated elitist technophiles, to ignore the
much greater social context.  The vast commercial and military
structure supports and drives development providing increasingly
intelligent systems, exponentially augmenting and amplifying human
capabilities, hugely outweighing not only in height but in breadth,
the efforts of a small group of geeks (and I use the term favorably,
being one myself.)

The much more significant and accelerating risk is not that of a
"recursively self-improving" seed AI going rogue and tiling the galaxy
with paper clips or copies of itself, but of relatively small groups
of people, exploiting technology (AI and otherwise) disproportionate
to their context of values.

The need is not for a singleton nanny-AI but for development of a
fractally organized synergistic framework for increasing awareness of
our present but evolving values, and our increasingly effective means
for their promotion, beyond the capabilities of any individual
biological or machine intelligence.

It might be instructive to consider that a machine intelligence
certainly can and will outperform the biological kludge, but
MEANINGFUL intelligence improvement entails adaptation to a relatively
more complex environment. This implies that an AI (much more likely a
human-AI symbiont), poses a considerable threat in present terms, with
acquisition of knowledge up to and integrating between existing silos
of knowledge, but lacking relevant selection pressure it is unlikely
to produce meaningful growth and will expend nearly all its
computation exploring irrelevant volumes of possibility space.

Singularitarians would do well to consider more ecological models in
this Red Queen's race.

- Jef