[ExI] Hard Takeoff

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Mon Nov 15 00:12:11 UTC 2010

Hi Michael,

Yes, it is fun to see you back on this list.

I'm still relatively uneducated about arguments for a "Hard Takoff".
Thanks for pointing these out, and I've still got lots of study to fully
understand them.  Thanks for the help.

Obviously there is some diversity of opinion about the importance of
some of these arguments.

It appears this particular hard takoff issue could be a big reason for
our difference of opinions about the importance of friendliness.

I think it would be great if we could survey for this particular hard
takeoff issue, and find out how closely the break down of who is on
which side of this issue matches the more general issue of the
importance of Friendly AI and so on.

We could even create sub topics and rank the individual arguments, such
as the ones you've listed here, to find out which ones are the most
successful (ie, acceptable to more people) and which ones are most
important.

I'll add my comments below to be included with Allan's and your POV.

Brent Allsop

On 11/14/2010 12:32 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:
> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
>> <mailto:stefano.vaj at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>
>> 1.  ability to copy itself
> Sufficiently true.
>
> nb: requires work by someone with a pulse to provide hardware space,
> etc... (at least for now).

Michael.  Is your ordering important?  In other words, for you, is this
the most important argument compared to the others?  If so, I would
agree that this is the most important argument compared to the others.

>> 2.  stay awake 24/7
> FALSE.
> Not implied. The substrate does not confer or imply this property
> because an uploaded mind would still need to sleep for precisely the
> same reasons a physical brain does.
I would also include the ability to fully concentrate 100% of the time.
We seem to be required to do more than just one thing, and to play, have
sex... a lot.  In addition to sleeping.  But all of these, at best, are
linear differences, and can be overcome by having 2 or 10... times more
people working on a particular problem.

>> 3.  spin off separate threads of attention in the same mind
> FALSE.
> (same reason as for 2).
>
>> 4.  overclock helpful modules on-the-fly
> Possibly true but strains the limits of plausibility, also benefits of
> this are severely limited.
>
>> 5.  absorb computing power (humans can't do this)
> FALSE.
> Implies scalability of the hardware and software architecture not at all
> implied by simply residing in a silicon substrate, indeed this is a
> major research issue in computer science.
I probably don't fully understand what you mean by this one.  To me, all
computer power we've created so for is only because we can utilize /
absorb / or benefit from all of it, at least as much as any other
computer would.

>> 6.  constructed from scratch with self-improvement in mind
> Possibly true but not implied.
>
>> 7.  the possibility of direct integration with new sensory modalities,
>> like a codic modality
> True, but not unique, the human brain can also integrate with new
> sensory modalities, this has been tested.

What is 'codic modality'?  We have significant diversity of knowledge
representation abilities as compared to the mere ones and zeros of
computers.  I.E. we represent wavelengths of visible light with
different colors, wavelengths of acoustic vibrations with sound,
hotness/coldness for different temperatures, and so on.  And we have
great abilities to map new problem spaces into these very capable
representation systems as can  be seen by all the progress in field of
scientific data representation / visualization.

>> 8.  the ability to accelerate its own thinking speed depending on the
>> speed of available computers
> True to a limited extent, also Speed is not everything.

I admit that the initial speed difference is huge.  But I agree with
Alan  that we make up with parallelism and many other things, what we
lack in speed.  And, we already seem to be at the limit of hardware
speed - i.e. CPU speed has not significantly changed in the last 10
years right?
>> When you have a human-equivalent mind that can copy itself, it would be
>> in its best interest to rent computing power to perform tasks.  If it
>> can make $1 of "income" with less than $1 of computing power, you have
>> the ingredients for a hard takeoff.
> Mostly true. Could, would, and should being discreet questions here.

I would agree that a copy-able human level AI would launch a take-off,
leaving what we have today, to the degree that it is unchanged, in the
dust.  But I don't think acheiving this is going to be anything like
spontaneous, as you seem to assume is possible.  The rate of progress of
intelligence is so painfully slow.   So slow, in fact, that many have
accused great old AI folks like Minsky as being completely mistaken.

I also think we are on the verge of discovering how the phenomenal mind
works, represents knowledge, how to interface with it in a conscious
way, enhance it and so on.  I think such discoveries will greatly speed
up this very slow process of aproaching human level AI.

And once we achieve this, we'll be able to upload ourselves, or at least
fully consciously integrate ourselves / utilize all the same things
artificial systems are capable of, including increased speed, copy
ability, ability to not sleep, and all the others.  In other words, I
believe anything computers can do, we'll also be able to do within a
very short period of time after first achieved.  The maximum time limit
between when AI would get it, and when we would also acheive the same
abilities, would be very insignificant compared to any rate of overall
AI progress.

Brent Allsop